Sunday, September 10, 2017

A Missed County Boundary Causes a Correction

So as part of our Labor Day holiday weekend retreat to the mountains, after completing the Pardee Apple Festival 8k in Henderson County, our family spent the rest of the day chasing waterfalls throughout southwestern North Carolina, including the falls along highway 64 on the west side of Highlands, North Carolina in Macon County.  As we passed through Highlands heading east on highway 64, I told my wife Kathy about running the Old Edwards Inn and Spa PAR 5K as my Macon County race several years earlier, and I promised to show her the private golf course, the Old Edwards Club, where they held that race (and where my dad and I played discounted golf after the run as part of the morning).

Unfortunately, as we left Highlands headed east, we crossed the line into Jackson County before reaching the entrance for the Old Edwards Club.  Was it possible I had missed that landmark on the way to the race back in 2010 and had not done a race in Macon County after all?  My guess was that I had tagged that race entry to Macon County because of its tie to the Old Edwards Inn and Spa and that resort's location in Macon County, totally not cluing in that the race itself was far enough from the Inn to not be in the same county with it.  Sure enough, when returning home after the long vacation weekend, a quick session with Google Maps confirmed that the Old Edwards Club which had hosted the race is over the line in Jackson County, far enough from the Old Edwards Inn and Spa as to not be in Macon County after all.

So, with that information in hand, I'm updating the blog counts to reflect that I have not done a race in Macon County after all, and I still have that county as a destination that must be run before we can call the 100-county countdown real and official.  So the numbers have been corrected, and I'll resume my search for an opportunity to run in Macon County.  Sorry for the oversight!

No comments: